The Coach House was first known as 'The Lord Hill'.
This was first licensed to James Thompson in September 1815, the year of Waterloo. It commentorates General Rowland Hill who during the Napoleonic wars ranked second only to Wellington in public esteem.
Though he was faded from public memory, his was a less anonymous name than the present 'Coach House'.
The building has the same dignified facade as the original although it now includes the cottage next door.
This pub was sold by Anglo Bavarian brewery to Thomas Norfolk of Deptford In 1884 and then via their successors to Trumans. Trumans also owned the Lord Bexley which was stood near Bexleyheath clock Tower. When the latter closed in 1979 its sign was affixed over the bar of the Lord Hill.
The tale is told that when the pub was being revamped in readiness for its change to The Coach House, they could not easily remove The Lord Bexley sign and it was consequently boarded over.
Fast forward to the present day the pub and restaurant is proudly run and maintained by Dawn and Julie. The small family-run team are proud of the heritage and you can find out more by just asking us.